Saturday, July 2, 2011

IVF #3, embryo transfer

I’m home, and on bed rest. Dr. Fabulous didn’t end up doing the transfer, but the owner of the clinic/ top RE, aka Dr. Wonderful, did. He did my egg retrieval for IVF #2, and did one of my ultrasounds last week. When I last saw him, I asked if he planned to do my retrieval again this time, but he was going on holiday for a few days. He then said that anyone can do the retrieval, but transfer is very important. I remember him looking at me and saying that he would’ do my transfer. Honestly, I would have been very happy with Dr. Fabulous or the RE who did the transfer for IVF #2. Anyway, I was pleased when the OR nurse told me that Dr. Wonderful would in fact do today’s transfer.

There was a slight hiccup when the embryologist came in to speak with me about the embryo quality, and then told me that I could only transfer two. I told the OR nurse that I wanted to speak with Dr. Wonderful. He arrived quickly, and after a bit of back and forth, looking at my chart (4 previous cycles, 9 embryos, 1 child, speaks for itself), he agreed to transfer three. Unfortunately they are not all blasts :( We ended up with one blastocyst, one cavitating morula and one compacting morula.

During the actual transfer we talked about clinics in the U.S., various IVF technologies, the fact that my previous RE at the clinic, Dr. Spectacular, will be the new director of a fancy, schmancy clinic in LA, and just like that, transfer was over. The nurse played back the ultrasound video of the actual transfer, which, even after going through this as many times as I have, is still amazing to watch.

Dr. Wonderful started his post-transfer speech on what to do, not do, then looked at me and said, “Never mind, you already know this.” I got a warm farewell, best wishes, then he and the nurse wheeled me back to recovery, I had a bit of a rest, changed out of the gown and it was time to go.

Now I’m hoping for a relaxing day, or two. Positive thoughts, crossed fingers and prayers are still very much appreciated.

9 comments:

  1. Keeping you covered! Get your rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your smooth transfer! Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the smooth transfer. Take it easy and eat cake (which is my strategy!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Sounds like all the good things lines up for you for the transfer! Now rest and think lovely nesting embryo thoughts! I am sending you lots of hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck! I'm glad transfer went well. Fingers crossed that you have at least one emby snuggling in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you lots of positive, implanting thoughts :) Good that the clinic were flexible in allowing you to transfer 3 :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck!! Are you an obsessive HPT-taker (like me) or do you wait for the actual blood test?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping and praying for you! May the wait pass quickly and bring happy news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! I have said a prayer and am sending sticky thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete