Thursday, February 18, 2010

back to the OB, or whatever he’s called

I had to go back to the OB yesterday and it occurred to me that in the U.S. he’d be referred to as a perinatologist or MFM (maternal fetal medicine) since he’s sub-specialized in high-risk obstetrics. Here he’s simply called an OB, just another difference between countries I guess.

The results from Friday’s blood work were back and in his words “perfect.” Yay! We were able to straighten out the prescription and before I left he said that we should have a look at the baby. Just then his secretary came in and gave him a message. He then told me that he needed to move his car, to hop up on the table, and he would be right back. I jokingly asked if I would be getting a picture this time as the machine was out of paper last week. He looked and sure enough, there was no paper. Seriously, no other patient in seven days had asked? Wowza! He left to move the car and returned with a roll of paper in his pocket.

The baby looks great and is getting so much bigger! The ribs are really well defined now and the baby gave us a great shot of its foot, toes and all. I still can’t believe this is happening. 18 weeks today!!!!

10 comments:

  1. What a great photo of the little munchkin.

    Here's hoping the kittikens is back to his normal self soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you, no one else asked for a pic? Its a trip isn't it sometimes living in a different country the things we think are so normal, or a no brainer sometimes are so not. I assume I experience this even more than you do as Egypt is a whole nother story in comparison to Ireland I'd guess. But so glad all is well and how exciting, 18 weeks already!!! Happy 18!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture. I'm so glad to hear everything is going perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, now that you're 18 weeks, where is that ticker?!? Lol! I'm sure you don't want to jinx yourself, but tickers are so gosh darn fun. If I could think of any more tickers to put up on my blog, I would do it.

    Glad you got a pic! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard people in the U.S. talk about their high-risk obstetricians, so I'm not sure there's always a difference.
    You may already have answered this, but will you be finding out ahead of time whether your baby is a boy or a girl?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look how cute your baby is!!!! :-) How wonderful to have a picture to take home this time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a great appointment!

    Beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you getting a picture! Your baby is perfect! So glad the results were fine. Good for you for telling your doctor what you needed!
    I know what you mean about the whole language barrier. My friend laughed her head off at me today when I talked about the "fire brigade"!!!
    ( I think I told you I am English and live in the US)! I mostly switch to US words for better understanding but sometimes I can't think of the right word!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing, you'd be surprised at what I've seen here. I've also lived in Germany (definitely first world medicine) and Belarus. Things here can be rather interesting ;)

    I think we will find out of it's a boy or a girl; hopefully at the next appointment. It will make planning/ shopping a lot easier :)

    tireegal68, I think "fire brigade" sounds much cooler.

    ReplyDelete