This morning I was seen by the head RE/ owner of the clinic. He did my egg retrieval in 2009 and remembered me. After the ultrasound, he input the details into the computer. Unfortunately, one follicle is way ahead of the others, so he wants to push back the retrieval until Monday (it was supposed to happen on Friday). This is bad news bears for several reasons.
1. We have no childcare for Monday. None, zero, zilch. Finding someone to watch Kate for a few hours on Friday was already difficult, Monday is impossible. My doctor said we could bring her to the clinic, but eep, I hate the thought of doing that.
2. This also messes with my husband’s work schedule, again. Under normal circumstances, coming in a few hours late, taking a few days off wouldn't be a huge deal (especially with the amount of time he has built up). However, he’s one of two people in the entire country who does what he does, so yeah, big deal. His coworker has been amazingly understanding but really, how much more can we ask.
3. Meds. I’ve already been on 450 of Gonal F and Puregon for 12 days. Now I have to do another two days. Fortunately the clinic was able to find enough Gonal F to get me through to Friday; ugh I hate not having insurance coverage. HATE.
4. It’s more money, again, no insurance coverage for infertility treatment. Every time I go to the clinic it’s yet another $172 for blood work (blood work isn't included in the IVF cost). Doing this every other day adds up.
5. Thinking into the future, if we have embryos, and if they make it to blast stage, transfer will likely happen the following Friday. This throws a major kibosh on attending the biggest embassy event of the year. Really, it’s not a huge deal to miss it, but I ordered Kate the most adorable, monogrammed dress, and it would have been one of our last opportunities to see people before we leave in August. My husband absolutely has to attend (work-related), so I guess worst case scenario, Kate and I stay home, and I somehow try to manage not lifting an 11-month old, since I’m supposed to be on bed rest.
This just never gets easier. I am so unbelievably bitter and jealous of people who don’t have to go through this to have a child. IF is so unfair.