Wednesday, April 29, 2009

two thumbs up!

My mom has always purchased books for me that she thinks I might find interesting. When I was in high school, she bought me a copy of Gifted Hands by Dr. Ben Carson. The book is the true story of an inspirational man who is now regarded as the top neurosurgeon in the world. I won’t share any more details, but it’s definitely worth your time to pick up any one of his books.

A few months ago, my mom mentioned that a movie was going to be released based on the book, Gifted Hands. I was thrilled when she offered to tape it for me. I finally had time to sit down and watch it today. TWO THUMBS UP!! If you haven’t seen it, you need to. It’s one of the best, most inspirational movies I’ve seen in a long time. If you aren’t familiar with the story, I recommend that you read the book first. While the movie does a great job of portraying his life, there is a lot of history to cover in just two hours, so I think having some knowledge of the story would be helpful. I will also say that of all the tv shows and movies I’ve seen, this movie is probably the most realistic as far as what happens in the OR, what it looks like, medical terms used, and that kind of thing.

Definitely worth your time to read any of Ben Carson’s books, and if you have the opportunity, watch the movie!

Word of caution: I know that several of you are dealing with infertility. Just a warning that during the movie, there is a pregnancy loss. In addition, there are several scenes in which infants are shown, and quite a long scene of pediatric surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment